IUCN status for the species profiles?

A resting place of all suggestions, bugs and queries that have been dealt with.
Chris

IUCN status for the species profiles?

Post by Chris »

Hello, first post :).

Just as a thought, what do you think about adding (if it's even possible/easy) IUCN red list status to the species profiles. I know personally I was amazed and disturbed by the number of common aquarium fish that are on there with vulnerable or worse status. There's even some that are considered extinct in the wild, for example Paratilapia bleekeri (which I'll be sure to submit as an addition to the fish list ;) ), or any number of Victorian Cichlids.

Not sure if I can post links being so new... but a google search for IUCN Red List should bring up the pages I'm talking about. Even Fishbase has the IUCN status, albeit normally not updated on a regular basis so VERY outdated.

Look forward to talking to everyone on the boards!

Chris
Not a Hobby, a way of LIFE!
Jools
Site Admin

Re: IUCN status for the species profiles?

Post by Jools »

Hi Chris,

That's a good suggestion, it's one we've looked at before but didn't implement because of the lack of accessibility of source data. There isn't a source (I'm aware of) on the web where one can programatically retrieve the current IUCN status for a species.

If that becomes available then we're certainly look at adding it.

Cheers,

Jools
tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 »

For me responsible aquarist must address the status of species and try to understand why this species is in danger..

Many species are now disappearing because aquarists do not communicate on "the reason for his disappearance."
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Yes, agree with all this, but who will take the time to go through the database and keep all species up-to-date with the latest information?

Cheers,

Jools
tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 »

it's great to create a database, but if the aquarists does not change of behavior how you want it used in?

this is why, it must also created the movement of responsible aquarists and change his behavior .

you understand why we want to launch the movement of responsible aquarists?
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Yes, I do, however the core aim of AR is to spread knowledge and allow breeders of fishes to exchange ideas and fishes. Thus, the general users of the site will mostly be responsible aquarists.

Jools
tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 »

I'll show you an example that the IUCN website is often late and grossly underfunded.
Heiko Bleher has often been said that this site is limited ...

Here is an example: Hypseleotris cyprinoides / http://www.fishbase.us/summary/10016

Once again: insufficient data: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/63355/0

Yet, if we seek in the Japanese internet with the common name of the fish, we find rather alarming information.

Even a public aquarium in Japan who managed breeding says that the species is in danger.
http://oki-churaumi.jp/info/blogs/archives/4824

この魚は環境省レッドリストの絶滅危惧ⅠB類に含まれ、絶滅が危惧されている種類です。
this fish is included in the class Ⅰ B endangered Red List of the Ministry of the Environment, extinction is a concern.

http://oki-churaumi.jp/images/pdf/h19_05_31.pdf

This is a disconcerting logical because the more smaller dam or the slightest contamination can destroy many species that need microfauna of mangroves for development of them larvae.

If a dam is created upstream of a mangrove, what do you think will happen?

We discover more dam projects around the world, and nobody dares to talk about ... It is very sad: (
I proposed my idea to FishBase to establish a forum with IUCN for us to aquarists the world participate in it.

https://www.facebook.com/FishBase/posts ... _id=572507

But still to this day not a single answer.

Ps: I'm french my friends
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Just an update since my last post. I had a conversation with IUCN about this more recently. They don't have any way of exposing the data they have at a species level to other websites. Short of "cut and pasting" every entry and checked it manually there isn't currently a good way of maintaining this data.

Jools
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

So, the IUCN don't have a way of sharing their data with other websites, so MatsP built one for us!

We've introduced a new field on the species data sheet that shows the IUCN Red List Status for any evaluated species. This enhancement (the work for which was carried out 100% by MatsP) addresses the request, in several places, to have this data on the site.

This data will be refreshed periodically to keep up with changes over time of this key indicator.

The first set of data should populate over the next 24 hours.

Jools
tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 »

If IUCN do not have a way for sharing Their data with other websites, why not create a site for that the aquarists of world give their information.

There exist worldwide of responsible aquarists which can communicate on the endemic species in their countries.

this is not a criticism, it's just my opinion. ;)

Return to “Resolved Issues”