Request to add new species

Discussion of things people would like to see added to the site, as well as changes to design layout. Also, help for people trying to work out technical issues. You should also report bugs, spelling mistakes here; queries and corrections to the site should also be posted here.
Tamcon83

Re: Request to add new species

Post by Tamcon83 »

From Loaches Online - http://www.loaches.com/
1)
Scientific name: Botia histrionica (Blyth, 1860)
Common name: Burmese Loach, Golden Zebra Loach, Silver Striped Loach
Synonyms: None
Distribution: India, Burma: the Salween basin. May occur in western Thailand
Sexual dimorphism: unknown
Maximum size: 5 inches (13 cm)
Similar to: Immature specimens can be confused with B. kubotai, B. almorhae, and B. rostrata. With maturity, each species takes on more distinctive colour and patterning.
Care: This is a relatively placid member of the genus Botia. Gregarious and curious, they are well suited to the community tank, but should be kept in numbers of 3 to 5 or more. Unlike a number of other Botia species, B. histrionica will be seen more regularly in the daytime if given ample hiding spots, a large aquarium (minimum 60 gallons, but larger tanks will see more activity), and the clean water that suits other Botiine loaches.
Feeding: Readily accepts quality flake food, sinking wafers, fresh vegetables, brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc... Not a finicky eater.
Water parameters: pH 6.5 - 7.2; Hardness: softer water. Max dh:
Temperature: 77-82F (25-28C)
Breeding: Not known to breed in the aquarium. Even cases of females becoming gravid are very rare.
2)
Scientific name: Lepidocephalicthys sp (possibly a variant of L guntea)
Common name: Panther Loach or Platinum Line Loach
Synonyms: Cobitis guntea, Lepidocephalus guntea
Distribution: Pakistan, Northern India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand.
Sexual Dimorphism: None reported.
Maximum size: Suggested reports of 3 Inches (8 cm)
Similar to: Many Lepidocephalicthys species.
Care: Lepidocephalichthys cf guntea is a peaceful loach that likes lots of hiding places with soft substrate. This species can be a active burrower. Sand substrate will be best to protect their delicate skin. Best kept in groups. Three fish is the recommend minimum that should be kept together. At times they like each other's company when sheltering under plants and bogwood. At other times they prefer to be left alone while they burrow under the substrate.
Feeding: Easily fed. Accepts good quality flake, sinking pellets, thawed frozen Bloodworm,Brine Shrimp.
Water parameters: pH: 6.5 -7.5. Hardness: Medium Soft to Medium. Max dh:5
Temperature: 72ºF to 79ºF (22-26°C)
Breeding: None reported.
3)
Scientific name: Acantopsis choirorhynchus
Common name: Horse Faced/Long Nosed Loach.
Synonyms: A. biaculeata, A. choerorhynchus, A. dialuzona, A. dialyzona, A. diazona
Distribution: Southeast Asia: Borneo, Burma (Myanmar), Java, Malaysia, Sumatra, Thailand, Vietnam.
Sexual Dimorphism: Females are generally larger with a larger abdominal area. Females may also have a more reddish color, with the males showing more silver/grey - in mature specimens.
Maximum size: 8 Inches (20cm)
Similar to: Acantopsis octoactinotos and other Acantopsis species
Care: This species is an active burrower when at rest and escaping from the company of others. This species also tends to search for buried foods. The aquarium substrate MUST be fine-grained and smooth round-edged. Preferable is sand. It should also be deep enough to allow larger specimens sufficient space to bury themselves. Plants can be uprooted as a result of these species burrowing activities. When juvenile, they are more visible. As they mature these loaches become more crespuscular/nocturnal.
Feeding: Most foods accepted. Commercial sinking formulations and bottom-dwelling live-foods. Frozen foods such as Bloodworms and/or brine shrimp. These loaches often filter foods through their gills when kept in a aquarium with sand as a substrate.
Water parameters: Ph: 6-7 (6.5) Hardness: Max dh: 1-12
Temperature: 77-84°F (25-29°C)
Breeding: Not known in Aquarium. Females may become gravid, but no accounts of successful breeding are on record.
4) Scientific Name: Gastromyzon ctenocephalus (Roberts, 1982)
Common name: Spiney-headed hillstream loach.
Synonyms: None.
Distribution: Sarawak, Borneo.
Sexual Dimorphism: Females generally plumper all over than males.
Maximum size: 2 inches
Similar to: Gastromyzon scitulus
Care: Inhabit fast flowing streams over boulders. Aquarium must duplicate these conditions as fish have very high oxygen requirements.
With all Gastromyzon species, care is broadly the same. All need excellent water-flow and aeration, numerous rocky hiding places and smooth pebbles and boulders to graze over. Lighting should be bright to encourage algal growth in the aquarium. Plants are not necessary as the fish do not normally encounter them in the wild, but they will help with water-quality. Suitable plants for high-flow environments are Anubias and Microsoreum. These will grow on rockwork or driftwood.
Feeding: Good quality flake, sinking pellets, algae wafers, thawed frozen Bloodworm, Mysis Shrimp, blanched Spinach, Kale, natural algae an advantage.
Water parameters: pH:7.0-8.0.
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

I've added the species and common name, but I am not a fan of wholesale plagiarism, so will add data as it is reviewed etc. However, it can now be used for species populations in "my fish" which I think is the main thing.

Cheers,

Jools
Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith »

Hi Julian:

Just curious about Aquatic Republic using the genus name Maylandia rather than Metriaclima. It has been proven by Konings and Stauffer that Metriaclima is the correct name.
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Mark Smith wrote:Just curious about Aquatic Republic using the genus name Maylandia rather than Metriaclima. It has been proven by Konings and Stauffer that Metriaclima is the correct name.
Hi Mark,

Yes, this is a contentious one - the name selected was done so by Anton Lamboj. More generally, we basically follow prevailing current usage, rather than take sides. I note that on FishBase, Catalog of Fishes, wikipedia and the IUCN, the genus name Maylandia is used.

I don't know the deeper background and personalities, but in some quick research turns up that in 1997 Stauffer et al. described the genus Metriaclima, dismissing the pre-existing Maylandia on the assumption that it lacked a type species and a diagnosis. Two years later Condé and Géry published an analysis and declared Metriaclima to be a junior synonym of Maylandia, and Maylandia hence the valid name of the genus, a view accepted by most ichthyologists.

Hope that explains the whys and wherefores of current usage herein!

Jools
Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith »

Hi Julian

True, your historic account of the name changes are accurate. However, the initial problem arose when the defining characteristics of the new genus Maylandia were brought into question. It seems that the characteristics that are required to erect a new genus name were lacking with the Maylandia description, which of course, makes it impossible to define what species should belong to that genus. Apparently, to justify the erection of a new genus name, there have to be clearly diagnosible characteristics to differentiate it from the next closest set of genera (in this case, several of the mbuna genera from Lake Malawi). This was not done, and so Stauffer made the name invalid and then erected a new name. He probably should have redescribed and refined new/additional unique characteristics for Maylandia, but it is what it is. Stauffer and Konings have published many works recognizing Metriaclima in official scientific publications which have acknowledged the validity of Metriaclima. Anyway, just my "two cents".
Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith »

Also, Lamboj is not considered an expert on Lake Malawi cichlids. His specialty is non-rift lake African cichlids.
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Hi Mark,
Mark Smith wrote:It seems that the characteristics that are required to erect a new genus name were lacking with the Maylandia description, which of course, makes it impossible to define what species should belong to that genus.
I have to admit I've not read up on this at all but the above statement doesn't seem quite right. The description could be just a few words and make it impossible to deine what species should be in that genus. That happens quite a lot in old descriptions. But perhaps there is more detail somewhere on the internet - I'll go have a look.
Mark Smith wrote:Also, Lamboj is not considered an expert on Lake Malawi cichlids. His specialty is non-rift lake African cichlids.
Of course, but it was more for his knowledge of ICZN - I'm pretty sure he'd be aware of the situation but I will check. I just wonder why, in knowledge of the conflicting works, FishBase, Catalog of Fishes, wikipedia and the IUCN use Maylandia?

Jools
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

Mark,

I've reviewed a few articles on the subject. It appears Maylandia has it! The undernoted link details it well for me and the more technical links in that article seem to be good.

http://malawicichlids.com/mw01012.htm

It appears that Condé, B., and J. Géry. 1999. Maylandia Meyer et Foerster, 1984, un nom générique disponible (Teleostei, Perciformes, Cichlidae). [Maylandia Meyer and Foerster, 1984, an available generic name.] Revue Française d'Aquariologie Herpétologie 26 (1-2): 21-22 is the "followed" publication where the authors conclude that Maylandia is a valid generic name, with priority over Metriaclima Stauffer, Bowers, Kellogg, & McKaye (1997).

As ever, happy to discuss!

Jools
Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith »

I wish I could have you read the very long discussions that took place in the past on Cichidae.com about this topic. Too much for me to include herein, but I'll understand whatever direction you wish to take Aquatic Republic in.
Jools
Site Admin

Post by Jools »

They didn't show up in initial search results, but post a link Mark and I'll go have a look.

** time passes **

So, I found this on cichlidae.com and this 2013 description on zootaxa. So main things I don't understand is (a) where is the ICZN ruling on the unavailability (not invalidity) of Maylandia and (b) why are Wikipedia (usually the first to change), CAS (usually provides the accepted view) and Fishbase (usually all three means that's the one to follow) all using Maylandia?

I'm actually more concerned with the latter issue of why the major databases use Maylandia, partially due to technical reasons but mostly due to understanding if they are behind the curve or if they've made a decision post 2013 paper.

Whew, hope that all makes sense!

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “Site Suggestions & Bugs”